Applicants must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible to receive the vehicle incentive. The applicant must:
- Be a resident of the State of New Jersey at the time of vehicle purchase or lease.
- Active duty military members stationed in New Jersey, with permanent residency in another state, may apply. Current military orders will be accepted as proof of residency documentation.
- This program is limited to individuals only. Businesses, governments, and public entities are not eligible.
- Applicants are required to remain a resident of the State of New Jersey for at least two (2) years after the purchase or lease of the eligible electric vehicle that receives an incentive under the Charge Up New Jersey program.
- Purchase or lease an eligible vehicle in the State of New Jersey between January 17, 2020 and the official launch of Stage Two, Point-of-Sale Program.
- A vehicle purchased or leased or delivered out-of-state is not eligible for the incentive, including vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of the State.
- A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease.
- Applicants must receive their vehicle before applying. Applications received before the vehicle is delivered to the applicant will be rejected, and applicants will then need to reapply post-delivery.
- Submit an application for the post-purchase incentive.
- Commit to not modifying the vehicle’s emissions control systems, hardware, software calibrations, or hybrid system.
- Retain ownership or an active lease agreement and registration of the vehicle with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Leased vehicles must reflect a minimum of 36 months on the original lease agreement.
- Applicants may only receive up to four (4) vehicle incentives from the Charge Up New Jersey program throughout the 10-year period that the program is active.
- Pursuant to P.L.2019, c.362, the legislature created the Charge Up New Jersey Program to be funded for a total of 10 (calendar) years beginning in 2020. Funding is allocated on a fiscal year basis and incentives are available only while funding lasts. Once funding is exhausted, incentives are not available until the following fiscal year, pending Board approval of the budget. Applicants who purchase or lease their vehicle after funding is exhausted will not be eligible to receive an incentive.
Pursuant to P.L.2019, c.362, an eligible vehicle for the Charge Up New Jersey program is defined as:
- A new light-duty plug-in electric vehicle;
- With a final MSRP* below $55,000;
- Purchased or leased in the State of New Jersey on or after January 17, 2020; and
- Registered in New Jersey.
Ineligible vehicles under the Charge Up New Jersey program include:
- Aftermarket plug-in hybrid electric vehicles;
- Electric vehicle conversions;
- Electric scooters;
- Electric all-terrain vehicles;
- Neighborhood, or low speed, electric vehicles;
- Electric motorcycles; and
- Pre-owned plug-in electric vehicles.
* See Terms and Conditions for more information regarding the MSRP cap.